A Response to Lisa's "I am not a feminist"


     Recently, my friend Lisa over at Pickle's Pen and Trinkets wrote this post, ~I am not a feminist~.   While I am very careful with tossing around the word "feminist" in reference to myself, I wholeheartedly disagree with this post.   I requested permission from Lisa to write a counterargument to her post and she very graciously granted it.   Thank you so much for allowing me to do this, Lisa.   (((hugs)))   I'll be using some sections from Lisa's post.   They'll be in quotes and italics.
"Now feminists like to scream that when women are told to stay at home and take care of the children and the household, they’re being ‘belittled’, ‘put down’, ‘suppressed’. I DO UNDERSTAND that there are circumstances where this is true. BUT AS A GENERAL RULE it is not. Woman’s place is at home, not to suppress her but to protect her. Protect her from the vicious world outside."
     There were several very Godly women in the Bible who did not adhere to this "general rule."   Ruth worked in the fields to provide for her stepmother.   Esther broke the rules of her husband and saved an entire race.   Deborah ruled over the people of Israel and led her troops in a successful attack (when a man was too cowardly to).   If these women had not overcome stereotypical boundaries of their gender, Jesus would have never been born.   Two of these women even have whole books of the Bible to themselves!
     Most feminists I have known are reasonably upset about the stereotype that overshadows their gender.   Many women entertain the idea of staying home and taking care of children, but those who don't, don't.   Sometimes, staying home is not an attainable desire financially.   Besides, what if a woman does not have a man to lean upon for financial help?   I would rather go to college and not use my degree later than skip college and need a degree for a job in order to live.
"Women are supposed to be treated better than men. There’s the age old phrase that women have a civilizing influence on men. WHY? Because men naturally will treat a woman better than they will other men. It’s how they’re designed. Men don’t protect each other. They don’t respect and cherish each other the way a man should a woman."
     Ask any war hero about protecting other men.   I know that that's an extreme example, but it brings truth.   Men can be there for each other, for their friends and brothers.   Several boys I know at school stick up for each other and talk about each other's problems (and those boys aren't even Christians).   In the Bible, David and Jonathan protect each other and care for one another.   When Saul tries to kill David, Jonathan warns him and helps him.   Time after time in 1 Samuel, it mentions their great love for each other.   1 Samuel 18:3 says, "And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself."
"I am employed, but not in a man’s field of work. I am a house cleaner. I own a small business that I manage from home. I am proactive with my time as a single young woman. I am not waiting for a man to come and give meaning to my life."
     She says that she works in something that isn't "in a man's field of work."   What does that mean?   What is the definition of "a man's field of work" and why is it not acceptable for women?   She references house cleaning as a women's job.   What if a man enjoys house cleaning?   Will he be frowned upon for taking it up?   Will others question his masculinity if he finds house cleaning an acceptable and enjoyable job?
     I know of men who are nurses, babysitters, stay-at-home dads, doll painters, and hairstylists.   Does this make them any less of a man?   No.   The idea that men and women have separate lines of work is one of the many things that has people questioning their sexuality.   Just because a man enjoys dancing, singing, or any other "womanly" pastimes does not mean he is sacrificing his manhood for his craft.
     In the same way, I know of women who are boxers, wrestlers, lawyers, pastors, and builders.   Does this make them any less of a woman?   No.   Just because a woman enjoys fighting, sports, or any other "manly" pastimes does not mean she is sacrificing her womanhood for her craft.

     Does this post mean that I think if you're not a feminist, you're wrong?   Absolutely not.   I'm hesitant to even call myself a feminist!   However, this mindset that women need to be protected by a man and that women cannot do manly jobs needs to end.   Women should be independent and able to live and work without a man's help.   A situation could come along where a father or husband cannot provide for his family.   A woman should be able to step up and lead the family along.

Comments

  1. When I saw this post, I read Lisa's post first just to gain some perspective. I found myself frustrated by what she said because so much of what she had to say was so opposite of what I believe. Thank you for articulating this. Your response is respectful, detailed, and yet to the point. I love that you cite women from the Bible... if women were made to be subservient, why does Esther have her own book glorifying the fact that she changed things for the better by going against what the men around her said? I feel that there should be some give and take. In any relationship, but especially a marriage, BOTH parties should be willing to protect each other. Yes, men and women are different; how should this make us unequal? God made all people to be equal. Separating equality based on anything - gender, race, class - is a purely man made order. What should matter in any given field is the ability one possesses to do the craft. You can dance and are male? Great! You want to build house and are a woman? Great! Nothing should stop you from fulfilling your calling. You brought up so many wonderful points here. Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. ♥ I love Lisa to death, but I really had to get this off my chest. I was having a hard time coming to terms with her thoughts and I'm so grateful she allowed me this opportunity to express my feelings about the subject.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I adore comments. Please feel free to speak your mind!