Why I Didn't Like Strange Magic


No, I didn't like Strange Magic.
*collective gasping*
Shush.
Listen, I thought I would ADORE this movie. I LOVE the song "Strange Magic." I LOVE fairies. I LOVE Beauty and the Beast stories. This film had so much potential it was practically exploding with it. Unfortunately, the potential remained untapped. Here's three reasons why I didn't enjoy Strange Magic. (Warning, spoilers ahead!)

1. The music was so close together.

via
It felt to me as if someone had made a list of their favorite songs, smashed them together, and tried to put a story around it. Don't get me wrong, I love music. Music is actually where I want my future career to be. However, the music in this movie was so smashed together it didn't flow or gel. It was actually horrible.

2. The character development happened way too fast.

via
"Wise men say only fools rush in." OK WELL THEN I AM THE WISE MAN AND YOU ARE THE FOOL. EVERYTHING WAS SO FREAKING RUSHED. Everything happened waaaaaaaaaaaay too quickly. Marianne the flower child of brightness goes to her room, cries, and comes out SLAYER OF MEN AND HATER OF LOVE. FEAR HER. Marianne and the Bog King have like 3 minutes of conversation and THEY ARE MEANT FOR EACH OTHER FOREVER AND EVER AND "I WILL DIE FOR YOU MY LOVE." Dawn and Sunny LITERALLY JUST HUG EACH OTHER and DAWN FALLS IN LOVE WITH SUNNY THAT FAST. UGH. WHY.

3. I liked the characters, but was too immensely frustrated with the creative input to actually love them.

via
Since this is comparable to Beauty and the Beast, I will say that Bog King is like 10000000 times better than Prince Adam. (But no one likes human!Adam anyways.) Marianne is fine, Dawn is fine. Sunny is the elf personification of all that is good in the world. But I hated them. Why? Because I didn't know them. When I get done with a movie, I usually LOVE the characters I was supposed to love and HATE the characters I was supposed to hate. This didn't happen for me this time. The good characters were just likable. The bad characters were too funny to hate. I left feeling annoyed.

What are your thoughts on Strange Magic?

Comments

  1. I know this post was created a couple years ago, but I am so relieved that I'm not the only person who hates the romance between The Bog King and Marianne.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I adore comments. Please feel free to speak your mind!